Environment & Sustainability
Discover Waitomo is privileged to be both the commercial operator and kaitiaki of the Waitomo Glowworm Cave, the Ruakuri Cave and the Aranui Cave.
These caves are a precious taonga to the Ruapuha Uekaha Hapū and Aotearoa New Zealand. With great privilege comes great responsibility.
It is this sense of responsibility to our people and place that underpins our values – Kaitiakitanga, Manaakitanga, Whanaungatanga – and inspires our concept of sustainability. As a part Tourism Holdings Ltd (thl), we are also committed to the award winning thl sustainability strategy. This strategy describes 5 key focus areas; Climate Change, Responsible Travel, Nurturing our Crew, Embracing our Communities and Shareholder Satisfaction.
Tiaki Promise - Care for New Zealand
Tiaki means to care for people and place. The Tiaki promise is a commitment to care for New Zealand, for now and for future generations. As kaitiaki of a unique Cave & Karst landscape, our care is world leading and will deliver on the Tiaki promise by:
- Planting and fencing to exclude livestock, enchancing the Waitomo catchment and its awa
- Partnering with DOC in pest eradication, benefiting biodiversity
- Helping manuhiri reduce their carbon footprint, by offering souvenirs 'good for a lifetime'
- Eliminating single use plastics and reducing waste generation
- Educating manuhiri on all of the above and making their visit to Aotearoa safe and memorable