School Holidays Pie Festival
These April school holidays visit the Waitomo Homestead to experience a celebration of the quintessential Kiwi pie.
You've heard about loads of music festivals, beer and wine festivals - even chocolate festivals, but very few that celebrate the quintessential Kiwi delicacy, the humble pie. New Zealanders have a long history and love affair with pies and this winter it's time to get back to basics and celebrate the food item so central to Kiwi culture.
This April, the Waitomo Homestead is running a two week long celebration of the good old hearty pie over the school holidays. Waitomo Homestead, famous for their delicious home-baked pies, will play host to Waitomo Pie Festival. From the 17th April to the 2nd May, locals and visitors to the region can head on down to the Waitomo Homestead to participate in activities that could win them one of the Homestead's iconic pies. There will be a $10 Heineken and pie deal available for the holiday period.
Located just before the Waitomo turn off; the Waitomo Homestead is well-known for great coffee, beautiful gardens, open-air and indoor dining options and is a great place to relax and stretch your legs. Head down these school holidays to have fun with the whole family!
Pie Festival at the Homestead full details:
- Bull eye Saturday - dart throwing, get a free pie when you hit the bull's eye.
- Dress up Sunday - Come in dressed up and get a free pie.
- Gumboot Monday - Throw the gumboot in the tire and get a free pie.
- Riddle Me Tuesday - Answer our question right and get your pie for free.
- Waiata Wednesday - Sing a song in Te Reo and get a free pie.
- Tosser Thursday - Toss a coin - head or tail - free pie or pay $4 instead of $3.
- Pie day Friday - Tag us in a Waitomo Homestead pie photo and your next pie is free.
Pie recipe - send in your pie recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org and the winning recipe will win free pies for a month - we will sell this pie in May at the Waitomo Homestead. Announcement of the winner of the pie recipe competition will be made on Monday the 3rd May.